In 2002 we launched a very tasty all-tube 100 watt monoblock called The Snapper® (oceanic names continuing). At $7,250 per pair for stereo playback, we also welcome you to catch a school of Snappers for surround systems.
Another brilliant design from Mitch Margolis features a quartet of EL34 or 6CA7’s in a fully differential circuit topology, including the input and driver stages. This Snapper can be driven fully balanced all the way through via the XLR inputs. If you have balanced outputs on your preamplifier, this amplifier is the first Manley design to really let you take advantage of your XLR’s without additional balancing input circuitry or input transformers. Very cleverly, the unbalanced RCA’s can alternatively be used in this special topology with equally impressive results.
Biasing is easy with all measurement points and trimpots located on the top deck and speaker connection is made with heavy duty WBT binding posts.
Over three months of prototyping in the Manley Magnetics department resulted in a brand new output transformer design, a true 19-section incredibly complicated piece. The Snapper® will crank out 100 watts at 10 cycles all day long and a full 110 watts from about 15Hz all the way up to 40KHz. Don’t let frequency response specs fool you when people give you amazing bandwidth measured at… oh, five puny watts. We’re talking full power bandwidth here! Continuous duty. Real muscle.
- Input Impedance RCA: 475 Kohm
- Input Impedance XLR: 15 Kohm or 600 ohm switchable
- Input Sensitivity RCA: 750mV input = 110W output
- Input Sensitivity XLR @ 15Kohms: 1.5 V input = 110W output
- Input Sensitivity XLR @ 600ohms: 2.4 V input = 110W output (w/600ohm source)
- Gain RCA: factory set for 31 dB; Range = 29.5 to 34.5dB
- Gain XLR: factory set for 25 dB
- Negative Feedback: factory set for 9dB of global NFB
- Maximum Output Power into 5 ohms: 110 Watts (1.5% THD @ 1kHz)
- Maximum Output Power into 8 ohms: 100 Watts (1.5% THD @ 1kHz)
- Signal to Noise Ratio Ref. 1W: Typically 90 dB A-WGT 20-20K
- Noise Floor: Typically 105μV = -77dBu A-WGT
Typically 388μV = -66dBu unweighted
- Dynamic Range: 98dB
- THD+noise @ 1W: less than 0.1%
- Frequency Response at 110W full power: 15 Hz to 40 kHz FLAT
- Frequency Response at 5W into 5 ohms: 10 Hz to 65 kHz FLAT, -3dB @ 100KHz
- Recommended Speaker Load: Optimized for 5 ohms
- Actual Output Impedance: 1.5 ohms
- Power Consumption (idle): 170 Watts (1.4A @120VAC)
- Power Consumption (at Full Power 110W): 336 Watts (2.8A @120VAC)
- Operating Mains Voltage: Factory set for 100V, 120V or 220-240VAC operation for original destination country’s mains voltage.
- Operating Mains Voltage: changeable with power transformer re-wiring and fuse value change.
- Mains Voltage Frequency: 50~ 60Hz
- Tube Complement (per pair of Snappers):
- Input Vacuum Tube: 2 x Ruby 12AX7 (matched pair)
- Driver Vacuum Tube: 2x 5687 or 7044 (equivalent) (matched pair)
- Output Vacuum Tubes: 8 x Tungsol EL34B (matched)
- B+ Voltage: 570V DC
- Output Tube Quiescent Standing Current: 30mA
- Set Bias for: 300mVDC measured across 10 ohm cathode resistor
- Lamp type: “FuseLamp” size 1/4″ X 1 1/4″, 12 volt, 0.15 amp; Units built after 5/2003 use white LEDs
- Fuse values & types for:
- 120VAC operation: MDL or MDA 4 AMP / 250 Volt SLO-BLO size 1/4″ X 1 1/4″
- 240VAC operation: MDL or MDA 2 AMP/ 250 Volt SLO-BLO size 1/4″ X 1 1/4″
- B+ FUSE: MDA 1/2A Ceramic SLO-BLO size 1/4″ x 1 1/4″
- Dimensions: 15″ deep x 13″ wide x 8.75″ tall
- Shipping weight each: 45 pounds